If you have moved since your ID was issued, you may need to update it before Election Day. The North Dakota Department of Transportation allows you to update your address and make appointments online for new IDs.  

Tribal IDs are updated with your tribal office. For those tribes that have agreed to share data with the Secretary of State, the ID does not need to be replaced. For all other tribes, the ID must be replaced to reflect the change.

If you are unable to update your identification, you still have the right to vote as a North Dakota resident if you are a U.S. citizen. If you do not get your identification updated, or find you do not have your identification with you when voting, you have two options:

Option 1: Supplemental Information 
You can bring your non-updated identification along with supplemental information that includes your updated address to the polling location on Election Day. Supplemental documentation that will be accepted includes a: Current bank statement or utility bill Paycheck or paystub Check or document issued by a federal, state, tribal, or local government Printed document issued by a college or university + student ID – Voting as a College Student

Option 2: Set-Aside Ballot

You can vote by set-aside ballot during early vote or on Election Day. This means you cast your ballot and it is placed in an envelope to be presented to the County Canvassing Board for review.

  • Within 13 days after the election, you must update or present your driver’s license, non-driver ID, Tribal ID or documentation, or Long Term Care Certificate before the County Canvassing Board meets.
  • You may submit your identification to the county auditor, in person or electronically, and your ballot will be counted. You will be provided information about this process when voting a set-aside ballot.

Tribal ID or Tribal Letter

Tribal government issued identification, including those issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs or other tribal entity. Contact your local tribal government office for more information. 

The following forms may also be used by tribal member or non-member residents living within the tribal government’s jurisdiction to vote: